January 01, 2008

Given the opportunity, I would take '07 back and do the whole thing over again, making the one change that would change everything. Instead, we just keep moving further away from that day, taking with us what we've learned, how we've grown, and the blessings that have found us.

Despite everything, Olivia thrives. As difficult as her illness is on her, I have come to realize that she will never in her life be as unaffected by it all as she it right now. Right now, we do the worrying for her. It hurts my heart to know that it won't always be so, but for now, I love that she is such a happy (albeit napless) kid.

Marc and I have weathered storm after storm and have a relatively unscathed marriage. It isn't perfect, but it is stronger.

I continue to miss NYC and fantasize about life in the city, but if we were still there, we wouldn't be here with our families and I honestly don't know what we would do without having so much family so close. It's beyond nice having two grandparents, seven parents, and seven siblings within a day's travel from home. (If you need for me to diagram this for you, just let me know. It's only complicated until you hear the explanation.)

Friends have offered to learn how to care for Olivia so that we can have some time to ourselves; a certain someone has even taken a class. We've made some new connections here in our neighborhood and Olivia loved the weekly playgroup that we went to for several months before the holidays got too hectic.

We have two extremely helpful women in our corner, constantly helping us out with the day to day of diabetes care: our nurse practitioner at the endo's office and our pharmacy tech at the local pharmacy. I can always count on them to go the extra mile and do what they can to make things run smoothly.

All in all, when I think back on this year, these are the things I think about. I am nostalgic for the year that could have been, how different things could be, but I am not sorry for the way that we have dealt with it all. Symbolically, I am glad to see 2007 go, for the feeling of having something new coming up. I hope beyond hope for new advances, for a cure.

So, onward to 2008...

 
Posted by Picasa


Happy New Year!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think I've posted here before, but I read your blog from the Diabetes Daily headlines.

Ok, let me guess, 7 parent - two divorces, three have remarried, one has not?

Anyway, enjoy your blog - here's to a great 2008!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

You live in The South, so having 7 parents doesn't surprise me ;D

This was a great post. The good things are always the cream that rises to the top.

Here's to a better 2008.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They will never guess, will they?
Love, M

8:21 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Adoptive and biological parents are involved, right?

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paige -- You said it! I have the exact same feelings. Especially about being able to shoulder the "worry" right now. But, what I like best of all, is that Olivia is THRIVING! So is Stella. Thank goodness!! And thanks again for all your wonderful helpful writing in 2007.

9:52 AM  
Blogger KentT said...

Hi Paige,

Happy New Year! You have had a full plate for 2007. Fortunately, you have supportive people in your life. Miss O looks good. Extended family is common in the South. Hi to you, Marc, and O. New post has been added to my blog.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perfect picture! and a damn nice post as well. as i happily said good bye to 2007, thinking of it mostly as the year of hating diabetes, i kept coming back to your strength. you have carried this weight so gracefully. i, too, am hopeful and sooooo excited about 2008. xoxoxox

11:12 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

sara - thanks for reading! you have got part of the equation. I have two step-parents, but shannon's right about the rest of the family...I also have bio and adoptive parents.

jennifer - so glad to hear that stella is doing well. I wish we could get the girls together!

thanks, kent. I'll stop by over at your blog.

alish - kisses!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Olivia looks like she is ready to charge into the new year. She looks like such a happy kid. What a cutie! I'm glad you've got so many helpful people around you. That's such a good thing. :)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Paige-

I felt the same way about 2004.

2008 will be better for you all, I have no doubt.

And that beautiful girl of yours will lead the charge.

All the best,
Sandra

12:26 PM  
Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Here's to '07 - you got through it in a steadfast and diligent manner.
Move on. Trust life. Make mistakes. Bask and savor in those fleeting bits of joy that pass through our days.
May '08 bring you many good things.

10:49 PM  
Blogger courtney said...

Happy New Year. I wish I had been over to your place for board games. Maybe in 2008.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Paige and Marc (and Olivia)

I hope that 2008 will be a better year in many ways.

I visited with Dr. Denise Faustman yesterday to have blood drawn for her research into a possible cure. I'm eternally hopeful that something will come out of this research.

Don't hold your breath, and certainly don't get your hopes up. But I'll bet things improve one way or another within the next 10 years.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home