December 20, 2007

There is a secret place in my heart where I nurse the belief that this is simply a temporary condition, something she will outgrow. We have days like today when she is having so much fun, playing so hard and is so distracted by all the things that should distract young children; during these days checking blood sugar, counting carbs, giving injections - it all just seems like a temporary inconvenience, like changing diapers or picking up that sippy cup for the 30th time. It feels for just a moment like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I think, "Why, she's so young...she will hardly even remember all this. She'll be amazed when we tell her the stories about what she went through."

There is no cure for diabetes. Yet.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I still have those thoughts too.

5:36 PM  
Blogger meanderings said...

I think we should all continue to have those thoughts!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I love those thoughts!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's the thing- i believe your thoughts to be true. i have no doubt she will be free from the d word before she's a teen. and even my rational side holds this belief, so it's not just the dreamer. i am thinking all this as i read your post, and soon afterwards i open a christmas card from my former co-teacher. in it i find a JDRF business card, stating the proceeds of the greeting card went to their organiztion. i know it is a sign, and hope you can, too.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Paige,

I have to believe that one day it will all be a memory for her. I just have to.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not yet. But SOON. Please let it be soon!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

After 34 years, I still believe that!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home