December 13, 2007

Olivia seems to have cut out her nap. A moment of silence please for my sanity.

Our entire routine is undergoing adaptation as a result of the change and so, of course, she is having all kinds of highs and lows. The first couple of nights we gave her a typical dinnertime dose of Humalog, which is meant to cover dinner and a snack, but she was asleep well before snack time and low by 8:00p. My experience has been that if I have to wake her up because of a low not long after she has fallen asleep, it is very hard to get her to eat anything. This played out the first night with a low in the 50s and she absolutely would not eat or drink anything. For the first time, we had to get out the cake icing and squirt it into her mouth. She was livid and I am not using the word lightly. To hold her down and force her to eat like that, when she was so angry...it made me feel like I was violating her in some way. There is so much that she has to tolerate...the sticks and the needles and the constant talk about numbers and not being able to eat what other children are eating...this finally just seemed like too much.

Olivia seems so angry sometimes...spitting mad when I tell her no or am not able to play. I know that a lot of this is just typical toddler behavior, but sometimes I wonder if all that she has to go through plays into it, as well. She's so powerless over it; it's a wonder sometimes that she doesn't flinch everytime we come near her.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

At her age, it's the perfect storm coming together...no naps, she's a toddler, and she's got diabetes.

That all comes together to create a big stressful mess of emotions.

Brendon was diagnosed at 2 1/2, plus I had a newborn and a baby heading into toddlerhood. Up until he was 4, my life is one big blur. I was on autopilot 99% of the time....maybe even 100% of the time.

I guess just buckle in and hang in there during a bumpy ride.

Ply yourself with an occasional alcoholic drink (my favorite wintertime cocktail was hot chocolate with a hearty splash of Kahlua), get out of the house by yourself for a couple of hours as often as you can.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

Shannon - I had no idea...that must have been so hard.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

It was hard, but I was just letting you know that I feel your pain!

Toddlerhood is one of the hardest periods of time to deal with for a parent.

And diabetes certainly does not help matters.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Bless you. I can't imagine what you are going through. I was the child, not the parent. So I only remember from the child's view. I hate that I caused my mother so much grief with my stupid diabetes. :(

6:27 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Paige,
You poor thing. Having a toddler without diabetes is tough enough. I can't imagine what it's like to have a toddler WITH diabetes. Yikes!

Like Cara, I was the child with diabetes. So you, Shannon & others are opening my eyes to the other side of the coin.

All I can say is hang in there & God bless you for all you do.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Boo, the non-d toddler, is holy hell on wheels. My O was much more malleable at that age. So it could just be that she's a toddler. Or it could be a combination of it all, like Shannon said.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home