November 27, 2007

I detest diabetes sometimes for being so damn unreasonable. What worked yesterday should work today and what works today should work tomorrow. A regimine will be effective for a couple of weeks, and then things just...change. I am always a bit slow to catch up. O has just been stuck in the 200s lately, which means extra shots. I am starting to question what I am doing. Should I not be letting her eat as many carbs as I do? I generally just try to feed her a healthy, well-rounded diet and adjust the insulin as needed, but she seems to have moved into the period of toddlerhood where she wants crackers more than she wants fruit or vegetables. I think what she really needs is a pump. Where do I begin?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Do you have a target amount of carbs for snacks and meals?

When Brendon was on shots, he typically ate 40 grams of carbs at meals and 15 for snacks. It sometimes went over or under by about 5 carbs.

That way, you'll know that she isn't overloading on carbs. Talk to your endo or nutritionist about how many carbs to target her for.

Definitely look into a pump if you want more freedom with how much she eats.

Toddlers can be a challenge for sure when it comes to eating.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Paige-

This is rough.

What worked yesterday might not work today because Olivia is hitting a growth spurt.

She might also have lost a few more beta cells.

Or was a little less active today.

Or the temperature outside went up or down a few degrees...

It's maddening, I know.

Yes, a pump would definitely give you more flexibility-- allowing you to make subtle changes to her insulin regimen on the fly.

Check out this post about our journey to the pump-- in it I list some books that might be a good starting point.

In the meantime, hang in there.

Sandra

10:02 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

If they had had pumps when O was diagnosed, I would have had her on one. (Technically, they had them, but they didn't have Humalog yet so I don't know how much good it would have done.) I always say that if one of my little ones were diagnosed, I'd get them on a pump right away. It makes dosing a toddler, finicky or not, much, much easier.

When we looked into a pump for our O, we called the pump companies and had them come do demos for us. You can glean a lot of information that way and then go away, think about it and get back to them (or us) with questions.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

shannon -

we typically shoot for @30 at meals and 10-15 for snacks, but I had been a bit lax about it because O's numbers had been so incredible stable.

sandra - thank you. the resources in your archives are very helpful.

julia - great idea!

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home