November 12, 2007

We had a scary incident the other night that turned out not to have been so scary, except that then again it really might have been scary and it certainly did feel scary at the time and still not really knowing exactly what happened is kind of scary, too.

O's blood sugar had been 90 before she started eating and got two units of Humalog at 4:30p. This was all happening earlier than usual because she got up from her nap early and her grandparents were coming to visit. By 6:00, when the rest of us sat down to eat, she was 109 and didn't want anything else to eat. She had been playing really hard and while two units is fairly standard at that time and she is pretty insulin resistant in the evening, I was starting to worry that maybe she had gotten too much insulin and not enough food.

At 7:00, when she started throwing her toys around and refusing to play with her grandmother (which is extremely unusual), I knew that she was low. Marc and I checked her as she sat on the kitchen counter and the meter said 25.

Twenty-five.

My mind was racing and I thought I was going to vomit. I started talking fast to Marc as I shoved tabs into O's hand.

"This is impossible. How could she still be running around? What's going on? How could she not feel this? This has got to be wrong. What's going on?"

By the time Marc got the meter loaded back up, O had eaten two and a half tabs. Now the meter says 115. "That's more like it," Marc laughed. "Let's check the meter," I said.

With the control solution, the meter says 107, which is within its range.

OK, no big deal, right? It took me about 15 minutes to catch my breath and stop sweating.

Here's the thing, though. Olivia usually reacts quickly and strongly to those tabs. One is enough to send her blood sugar up at least 70 mg/dl. So now I am thinking that she is going to be through the roof with all those tabs and will need another shot. But when I check her half an hour later? 137. And the next time we checked? 287. Then she started to float back down and by morning, she was 67.

What in the world happened?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

How awful! I had a 26 pop up one time & I thought I was gonna pass out! When I re-checked it said 83. Much nicer. Sometimes my meter just craps out on me. I really don't care for it, but it goes w/ my pump. I am just waiting on MiniMed to get the One Touch meters next year!

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home