November 09, 2007

They clean up real nice.

Moose's first day at work as a therapy dog was to start at 11:00 and Olivia's first tantrum was at 10:45 when I wouldn't let her hold the leash as we walked across the parking lot to the hospital. We were like a little three ring circus in the lobby and I was really glad that Marc was able to keep O occupied for a bit, because Moose and his orientation were about all that I could handle.

He did fine and seemed to enjoy himself for the most part; he was a bit skittish and distracted, because...well, he just is. But the patients enjoyed him so much and I was really impressed with the therapist who administers the program. She's very passionate about how therapeutic animals can be and I was able to see it, even in the short period of time that we were there. Patients with mobility problems struggled to maneuver close enough to pet him; a young man who is virtually unresponsive moved his fingers almost imperceptibly in his fur.

While I expected people to be bragging on Moose and Olivia, something that I didn't expect was hearing patients talk about Marc. When the patients found out that I was Marc's wife, to a person each told me how lucky they felt to be in Marc's care. One gentleman went on and on about how much he likes Marc and how Marc goes out of his way for him. It's not that I didn't know how much Marc cares about his job, but it was really meaningful to hear these people, so many of them barely on the good side of a really hard time, saying that Marc helps them. I was proud of him.

And I was proud of Moose. I think that he'll be excited to go back next time, even if it does mean getting another bath.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww. It's interesting how you can be going along, expecting whatever, and then something else hops out of the shadows and takes you by surprise! I like it when that happens.

9:40 AM  
Blogger linda said...

Wow you've been busy writing away on here, I had to catch up. I loved the post with O's brave little hand. Pretty cool about Moose too,he does seem like a very chill dog, the kind I need to bring my terrified son around so he can get over his fear of pooches.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

alice - I like it when it happens also; it reminds me to pay attention!

linda - moose will play with juden anytime! he is really is good with kids.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

What a beautiful snapshot of a gorgeous day, Paige.

I'm proud of you all too. Therapy animals are amazing.

:)

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home