April 15, 2008

Olivia started swimming lessons last week and I don't think I have ever seen her so excited. She shrieks, she kicks, she is the first person in line to go down the slide into the water. She's never the first in line to do anything, but she loves her some swimming.

 
Posted by Picasa


I was so glad to see her like this. I needed to see her like this, because frankly it's pretty much been a 24-hour scream-fest around here lately. Although the screaming has nothing on the hitting. Olivia has long been a hitter, but things have progressed lately. Today she hit me twice with a closed fist and once in the back. With a broom. Her little play broom, but still. I have been a bit at my wits end as my "Hitting Hurts" speech has not been cutting it.

I don't know if it is new baby anxiety. She's been asking to sit in her high chair and telling me that the baby can't use it. I wanted to talk about her behavior with our nurse practitioner yesterday, but once she saw that O's A1c was 6.9 (!!), all she really had to say was, "Yeah, she's almost three." And I know that it can be a tough age. She's trying to assert some control. Over me.

Despite the broom and the fit about wearing my make-up...and my jewelry...and the one about socks, today did go better than yesterday and I think that is because I was able to keep myself together a bit more. If I can just ride it out, not raise my voice, keep repeating the same thing, she does seem to eventually burn out. It takes awhile; she has a lot of what the book I bought yesterday in a weepy, desperate plea for help calls "negative persistence." Indeed.

With all of this going on, I have hardly allowed myself to think about the baby. Other than the occasional "This poor kid. His sister is going to eat us both for lunch."

Update: What do you know? I already posted this here six months ago. Except I was more eloquent, wasn't pregnant and had a vacation on the horizon. Yikes.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I think you're doing the right thing by being firm and consistent with the discipline....even if it seems like it's not making a difference. It is. It really is. Imagine if you did nothing at all. What would she turn out to be when she's older when she's never been shown boundaries.

Hang in there!

Have I said lately that O is the cutest little thing? Well, she is.

How are you feeling otherwise (is the the 500th time you've heard that this week?)? Is pregnancy being kind to you?

And congrats on the 6.9!!!! That is completely awesome!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

Shannon - Thanks for your comment...then and now. I do try to keep the long-range goals in mind - when I can hear myself thinking over the screaming!

I am feeling OK - a little tired and creaky, but nothing out of the ordinary. Almost to the third trimester!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Natalie Jane said...

Needed to hear this. Lydia is a lot like this. (An always has been) I don't spank, but I sure understand the desire too...

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6.9!!!! 6.9!!!! That's fabulous!!! And thanks for writing about the terrible 2.5 -- it helps me to realize other kids are like this too. And it helps me to remember that distraction is a wondeful thing. "Look, something bright and shiney!" -- stellasmom

11:57 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm so sorry that you are having such a tough time. I know how hard it is, especially having the energy and patience to deal with it all while you are preggo. Hang in there...her behaviour will get better and then you will look back and wonder if she ever really acted like that. :)

Congrats on the 6.9!!!! That is AWESOME! I'm jealous. :)

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home