April 25, 2008

Marc recently requested a sample Omnipod in the mail. They sent us one which has the real inner workings, so the weight is the same, but rather than insert it with a needle, one can peel a backing off and put it on like a sticker. As part of his effort to get Olivia to let him put it on her, Marc has been showing her videos on YouTube of other children and their pumps.

This afternoon, she asked me to watch the video about Samantha with her.



Lost it. Completely. I was barely able to hold things together enough to make it through and take a break in the kitchen.

It's really important that we act enthusiastic when she meets other children who also have diabetes, children who have pumps, but it can be almost soul-crushing to hear your three-year-old say, "Mommy, she has diabetes...just like me!" as though it were the most exciting thing.

Also soul-crushing? The first two minutes of this video:



No parent should have to do these things to their child. No child should have to endure it.

There is no cure for diabetes. Yet.

We will not be raising money for the JDRF's Ride for the Cure this year, but we are walking in our local walk. If you would like to donate to Team O, please follow this link.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the other side of the world, it's morning here, darkness there, and I'm crying. I wish I could do it more often, feel some of the stress and pain you feel, take it for a while for you.

Thank you for posting these to help me understand.

love to you and olivia and marc

2:21 AM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

I made it through the first one just fine. But, the first couple of minutes of the second video had me bawling.

I hate this disease with every single fiber of my being.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I hate sobbing at work.

We tried the omni-pod sample. Stella would not tolerate it. I tried to get her to wear it "through a movie" -- a treat. But she just couldn't and I had not the power to make her stick it out for an hour. But it was still sticky enough for me to wear it. No problem on my huge behind -- but it did seem enormous on her. So, we're not ready here.

With O's A1c being so wonderful, what would be the advantage at this time? -- Stellasmom

11:04 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

jennifer - the biggest benefit would probably be the decreased number of sticks. O is really, really fighting with us about her injections and it's a pretty rough scene for her 4-5 times a day.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! Duh! If/when you try a pump I'll be grateful to share as much of the experience as you put on your blog --and very happy for any advice you can give. Also, have you tried the Pelikan lancet device (see diabetesmine blog). Stella definatley prefers it, calls the old one "the bad one" as in, don't use the bad one. And she really doesn't fight finger pricks now at all. So that may help some too. --Jennifer

12:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh My God!!! That second one really made me loose it. We are going to a pump information class next Tuesday. That is our first step to getting Izzy on the pump. After seeing that I'm not sure I can handle it.

Hope you and O are doing well.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

Thanks, Jennifer. I will look into it!

Good luck with the class, Lisa. One step at a time, right?

11:08 PM  
Blogger KentT said...

Hi Paige,

Hope you, O, and the new little one are fine. My little son has Type 1. Bjorn (he's 6 months old). He'll soon be a new pumper with Animas. He's getting a 2020! He now has a Dexcom 7 CGM and it's helped with insulin adjustment and keeping lows at bay. Saw Marc today during checkup. Always enjoy seeing him.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Mercy that second video was heart rending.

Each time I think of what parents go through to help their children with diabetes it breaks my heart.

I hope and pray for all our sakes that it's not too many years before a cure. Paige it's hard work, bless all of you.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home