April 18, 2007

O had an endo appointment this week and everything went well. Everything went really well. Despite more than a month's worth of illness and high blood sugars and battles over and delays of most injections, her A1C was 7.7. I was shocked. The nurse practitioner helped us put in an I-Port so that some of the injections could be adminstered there, saving her some sticks and allowing us to get her insulin in her in a more timely fashion. And finally, we got some information that might help us as we go forward in making the decision about whether or not to have another child.

O hardly noticed the port; we told her what it was for and how we would use it. She fussed a little with the first couple of injections through it, but they didn't seem to hurt and the whole thing seemed a major improvement over what has been going on with each and every shot. Trouble came when we took off her clothes for her bath. She really noticed the "button" for the first time, touching it gingerly and asking to see it in the mirror. She walked to our room with tiny little steps, cheeks clenched as though it might fall off. The look on her face as she turned from side to side trying to see it on her cheek broke my heart. She didn't want to get in the tub and cried hysterically when I finally put her in after she peed on the floor. She never did sit down; only stood there sobbing while I bathed her and told her again and again what the button was for and that it wouldn't hurt her. She wanted her diaper and clothes back on as soon as I lifted her out of the water.

But the next day, she seemed to be less fearful and more intrigued. She told her Nan about "my button" first thing and then seemed to forget about it. We were going to change it on Sunday, but it came out when Marc bathed her last night. We didn't put another in before she went to sleep and when he went to give her the next injection, she asked for the button, so I guess she has decided the injections are indeed preferable through the port. We'll see how it goes when we try to put the next one in without assistance.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Paige-

Hey, that's awesome about O's A1c!

And I'm so glad you found something that makes this whole thing easier for her.

Though, watching her painful discovery and initial rejection of the "button" must have been so hard for you.

Hang in there-- you really are doing a beautiful job.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds like O is adjusting--she is such a strong and resilient girl. she gets this from her mommy!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Paige -

Excellent re: the A1C.

I can't add more to what Sandra's said - so I'll just say you're doing a GREAT job. :)

Nicole

6:10 PM  
Blogger Melanoma in B&W said...

Hi Paige,

I am contacting you regarding a blog survey I am conducting. I am a Ph.D. candidate in Mass Communication at Penn State and my dissertation project consists of a survey that looks at women bloggers’ perceived motivations for and effects of their blogging.

I am sending the survey to a number of bloggers, and I would like to invite you to participate in it as well. Participation should take approximately 15 minutes of your time. I would appreciate it tremendously if you would be willing to take the survey. If you decide to do so, please follow the link below:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/cds205/blog/signin.htm

I would be very happy to share the findings of my study with you once it is completed!

If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me!

Thank you in advance,

Carmen

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home