October 10, 2006

Moose and I went for a walk tonight, down Alabama Avenue to 45th Street. It was dusk, with house lights coming up and I could see in several houses where people sat, talking, finishing dinners. When we turned the corner headed towards St. Elmo Avenue, I saw in the second story window of the house on the corner a figure, a silhouette of a woman. The window was frosted with lamplight behind it, making it looked as though it was steamed up and I turned away quickly, feeling as though I was seeing something intimate, something accidental that I shouldn't. Immediately all these stories, scenarios appeared in my head and I imagined her packing a bag for a trip, or putting a new baby down to sleep, slamming things around after an argument, or preparing for her first day at a new job. For a few minutes I felt like I was back in Brooklyn, with that constant feeling that anything I could imagine and many things I couldn't were happening just behind each window I passed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home