November 19, 2008

Can't type. Too busy with laundry. One of Marc's co-workers gave us two huge bags of clothes that his daughter had outgrown and I am under strict orders to have everything washed by the time Olivia wakes up in the morning. Sigh.

Don't get me wrong. The clothes are adorable and we are grateful to have them, but Hair and Wardrobe have become a bit of an issue lately. Olivia has long held firm opinions about what she wears and I am a big-time "pick your battles" kind of mom, so it has not been a problem. Perhaps you have seen the child with the headband AND the three pigtails AND the barrettes wearing her pajamas underneath a dress? Yeah, she's with me. As long as it is weather-appropriate, I am almost always cool with her picking out her clothes. What I am not cool with is helping her into one of these get-ups, only to have her decide an hour later that she was wrong...this is not today's get-up. Today's get-up was to consist of tights, socks, two skirts, something with a hood and that one barrette with the ladybug that she had that one time. I used to indulge this when it didn't involve the elaborate coifs, but I am over it now.

It was at one time a major battle to get a brush near O's head and I am grateful that we have moved beyond that. I am not very good with the ponytails and the pigtails and the braids, but I do enjoy spending the time with her each morning as I put her hair up. Once it's up, however, the hair can't just be up; it can't be disturbed and it can't be "shaky." "My ponytails are SHAKY!" We hear a lot of this - meaning that her ponytails aren't tight enough and that she needs to take everything out and have you start over again. And she has gotten pretty neurotic and tyrannical about it. I find myself constantly checking my pockets for hair accoutrements. Heaven forbid she want a pink rubberband when I only have a blue.

So. We had to have a little sit-down last week. We gently suggested that perhaps too much time was going into all of this prep each day and that there was going to be a limit to how many times a day she could change her clothes and how many times a day she could take her hair down and expect someone to put it back up. And it went over pretty well.

But then The Bags showed up. You should have seen her...there were so many stripes to be paired with dots. Several pieces had kitty cats all over them! And fruit...she loves fruit! And does that one have an ice cream cone on it? She was over the moon. Guess I know what we'll be doing tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

The hand-me-downs are a blessing and a curse.

Jessica doesn't like shirts with hoods, the color black, and a lot of other things. Pink is too little girl for her anymroe, so she has a wardrobe with lots of brown, blue and red.

Also, she used to want me to pull her hair back into a particular ponytail that had to be at the nape of her neck. If I put barretts in her hair, she had to check in the mirror to see if it was sitting correctly.

NOW, thank the hair fairies above, she just wants me to brush and leave it. No fancy anything. Easy peasy.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry for your pain, but i thoroughly enjoyed that short story. good luck with it!

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K. That is way too funny!!! I am e-mailing everyone to remind them to read this entry. Cindy will especially love it. Hope to see you seeon!!
Love, M

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home