June 04, 2007

How to Miss a Moving Target

11:37pm
"What was she?"
"236. I'm going to give her 0.6."
"Are you sure?"
"She was almost this high last night when we gave her 0.6."
"No, she was in the 300s."
"336. She's 336."
"Oh, shit. I thought you said 236. What happened? She only had a little of the cracker and some milk."
"I'll test her again."
"What was she?"
"300"
"What the hell?"
"I'm going to give her 0.6."

11:13am
"What is she?"
"416"
"What happened?! How much insulin did you give her?
"1.6"
"I thought that it was 2 units in the morning."
"Yesterday she had a small breakfast and by mid-morning she was down to 55. This morning she had a fairly small breakfast, so I cut back to 1.6."
"And now she's in the 400s."
"Now she's in the 400s."

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bernard said...

Paige

That's terrible. God bless both of you, I can't imagine how much effort this is.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Damned Math. Damned, damned Math. I hate trying to figure out the Math - it is incredibly irritating. I wish I could help - but the science is soooo inexact.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

How often do you check her during the night?

It's such a crap shoot, trying to manage this disease in a little body. Their bodies shoot out growth hormones at weird times and it makes it really hard to guess what they need.

I'm still crap shooting with my O and it's been almost ten years. I usually dose what the pump recommends and sometimes it's fine, sometimes she wakes up at 4:30 with a bg of 43, sometimes she wakes up at 6 with a bg of 403. This no rhyme or reason shit really wears on you.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Amberthyme said...

I hate watching my little girl go on the glucoaster ride. It scares me, especially at night. I hope things get better.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home