June 28, 2007

This seems odd...

4:56pm blood glucose 147
8:25pm bg 135
10:55pm bg 140
2:22am bg 144

Is this odd? At first I was afraid something was wrong with the meter, but I suppose this is exactly what we are striving for and I have just never seen it quite like this before. This time period included a snack, dinner, insulin, exercise, and a bedtime snack. I know there were fluctuations; I guess we just happened to catch the numbers around the same point in their ups and downs.

I hate looking at a number and not knowing which direction she is headed, especially at night. Continuous Glucose Monitoring is a miracle and I look forward to the day, though I still don't know if O is ready to move beyond injections. We have not been using the iPorts, because she protested so much and I just haven't had the heart to override her. I can't help feeling that her reaction to a pump would be similar.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nicole P said...

Paige - Maybe you're starting to get the hang. I LOVE those days - when I feel like I've done everything just right - and it's actually worked. Sometimes, they feel few and far between :) - enjoy this one!!

Re: CGM - In time, O will be ready. Hopefully, by then, insurance providers will have stepped up their game. :) Nicole

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog through Chattablogs and found myself reading through your archives to learn more about your sweet girl. I have type 1 diabetes (diagnosed almost 13 years ago) and I also have a 3 year old daughter named Livia. Between those two facts I find myself empathizing greatly with your life, your struggles with diabetes. God bless you as a mom! You are taking amazing care of your daughter.

-Rebecca T (www.tredways.org/blog)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Paige

It sounds like you're doing a great job.

I wouldn't rush to CGMS. The needles are pretty brutal at present (26 gauge for the new Dexcom).

From the age of 15 to about 22 I lasted on urine tests and was pretty much OK. BG tests are so superior to that, you'll be fine if you don't use CGMS for another few years.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny that when numbers are level like that, we think something is wrong? I think the same way as you sometimes.

As for the pump, yeah, O might protest over the infusion set the same way she does the iPorts. For quite a while, Brendon protested while getting infusion sets done, but he's much better able to cope with them now.

It's a little bit of what you're willing to let O endure and what YOU'RE willing to endure too.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

dang it! Blogger flipped me to anonymous....that was me who left the comment after Bernard's...lol.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Those are great numbers.

Enjoy it while you can.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home