November 07, 2008

Olivia has started asking when she won't have to take insulin anymore. I tell her that people are working very hard for a cure and when they find that cure, she won't have to take her medicine. If she seems in the mood for more, I talk about the pump.

At any given time on any given day, I might call Olivia's name, only to be told, "I'm Hannah." Hannah is her alter-ego. Hannah is a mom or Hannah goes to school. Olivia asked me again today about not taking medicine and when I finished my answer, she said, "Well, I'm Hannah. And Hannah doesn't have to take insulin."

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

How creative....now let's hope Hannah gets more cooperative... :P

8:47 PM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Bittersweet. The imaginary friend/alter-ego is such a wonderful and mysterious thing in childhood, but I know it must hurt when she talks about not wanting to take insulin anymore...

That part gets easier, in a way. I mean, there are certainly days when I wonder when I won't have to take insulin anymore. There's a part of me that wonders if I should make the "when" in that sentence an "if." But for the most part, as I've gotten older, diabetes has become less a big deal. Cold comfort, I guess... But I hope it helps to know that.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah Montana!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Such a creative little girl. She is trying to find a way to deal with all of this in her own way.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Paige Barnes said...

Isn't it amazing and curious how kids deal with things. My son usually takes his frustration about his diabetes out on me. But he asks me everyday if we will get the cure for him when it comes out. And everytime he asks, my heart breaks a little more. Praying for you and all you have going on right now. ~Paige (the one in AL)

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home